Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Project - and a request for help

Morning folks. I have been debating this one for more than a week. The more I speak to people here, the more I realize how invisibility and subsequent isolation have a devastating impact on people with this virus. I believe that many people want to be seen. I understand that too many people are rightly afraid of discrimination and harassment if they are known to have HIV, but still need support systems that are all too often difficult to reach.

For this reason, I have decided to see what I can do about creating a web-site for people with HIV. The name of the site is registered now and will be...

www.hivsurvivorsproject.org

It is pending, so if you try and go there - you will get a site not found error.

The idea is simply this. I want to create a site where people living with HIV can tell their own story and be seen. It is a place where people with HIV can go to find others with the virus and know that it is not an ending, but a beginning. All too often this virus is seen as a death sentence. We as a community need something to educate our and the general population that people with HIV are leading normal productive lives in good health.

admittedly - there are many people not doing well with this virus. Their story needs to be told as well. I won't have this issue be sugar coated. But this virus leads to more pain, misery and death because of ignorance. That is one thing that we as a community can overcome, and I hope that this project can serve in that fight.

At this time, I need help if you are interested. I will be asking around on my own, but if you or anyone you know has good web-design skills, and willing to donate their services - I would love to talk to you or them. Potential individual or corporate sponsors are welcome as well. This will be non-profit, but there will be costs that I will need to underwrite.

I am somewhat worried that this may be too large a project to take on on my own. If someone with deep pockets and skills wants to take this over at some point, I would be more than happy to let them do it. I want this to be a successful resource for our community. I would like to see the vision through and have it up and running - any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home