Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Joy of Synchronicity...


Carl Jung defined the term synchronicity to describe an event with meaningful coincidence. It's like when you are thinking of a friend and then suddenly run into them. It happens to all of us from time to time - it happened to me again last night.

I was out with the intent of getting some food - but had been inside my place all day infront of the computer working and exchanging e-mails with people from here. Chatting on breaks, etc. I decided that it would be nice to make an early run to my favorite bar - Sidetracks - just to see if anyone I knew was around.

I had been thinking about my friend Jeffrey. He and I went to high school together. He was one of the 1st gay people I ever met. We are both members of a group of friends that goes all the way back to high school - some straight - some gay. I love all these people very much. So imagine my surprise when after not having seen him in at least a year and a half - I ran into him and one of his friends last night!

I have been telling my close friends about my status since day one - and I didn't want to leave him out, so I took him aside and filed him in on the details. He was great with it as I knew he would be. His friend came over, and I didn't shield it from him - he was great with it too. His friends' name is Michael. Michael and his partner Rick have been together for 4 years.

It was - I don't know - show tunes hour? at Sidetracks while we were there. I don't generally get into that - but we had fun with it. The crowd goes nuts for certain songs - for example - Madonna singing 'Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" - getting into it as if it were the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It is hilarious! So we played along.

While we were having fun, I pointed out a guy who I have always thought was cute as (insert adjective here) for a long time. You know - eye candy - but not like ohmygod hot eye candy - just what I find to be cute. I am sure a lot of people would agree with me. I had always thought he was way too young to do anything but look and smile. Jeffrey... Jeffrey is not shy. He and I are like opposite sides of the same gay coin. He just went up and started talking to him. He isn't nearly as young as I thought. He is certainly within the age range that I like to be in when dating - close to my own age. A little younger - but only by several years.

Then Michaels partner Rick shows up - and we start chatting as well. It turns out they are good friends with this guy. Rick wanted to introduce me, but I said no. He asked why - I told him the situation. This is all too new to get someone else involved. I have some major trust issues with men right now - and it wouldn't be fair to put someone new into a situation that I don't quite have figured out yet. And this is all even assuming that the guy would be interested...

But isn't it strange how things like this happen? Just a weird set of coincidences, I guess. I mean - it is a small community, but not that small...

I am not trying to get all new agey on anybody, but I do have certain beliefs about how life works. There are certain people who are supposed to be in your life for whatever reason. If you don't make the effort to seek them out and maintain contact, well... life will do it for you. I need to believe that there is meaning behind events like the one I am facing - that this has something to teach me that is very important to my development. My relationships with friends are a huge part of that process and I am going to embrace it to whatever end.

The picture with this post, by the way - is entitled 'Love Knot'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home