Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A little piece of me

I cut myself shaving today. I saw this little drop of red forming on my chin - and I just stared. The 1st thing that popped into my mind was - this little bit of me... contains this deadly virus in unbelievable numbers. I just couldn't believe it. This is something we have all grown used to seeing from time to time. It's part of a common experience. And here it is - it is a completely new and frightening realization. This little bit of me contains something that is responsible for death and misery throughout the world.

I went to work, but this small incident demanded my attention for most of the morning. I thought about it. And I thought about it some more.

It occurs to me... this drop of blood. It isn't what it contains, rather it is what it means. It means I am still alive. It means I can feel pain and joy, laugh and cry, that as long as I can bleed my heart beats and I am alive! it means I AM HUMAN. This virus that's in there, is not part of me. It does not define who I am and what I feel. It may have tagged along for the ride, but it isn't going to decide where that ride goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home