Thursday, May 18, 2006

Getting the diagnosis...



May 13, 2006

Well - to introduce myself...

My name is Dan. I am 42, live in Chicago, and 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with HIV.

I had been worried about being infected for several months following my boyfriend breaking up with me and not explaining why. He had always preferred unprotected sex, and I trusted that he was negative. I requested information from him several times since he broke up with me, but was met with anger and accusations. I worked up the nerve and went in, and my worst fears were confirmed.

Let me say at this point - I do not blame my ex. As of this wrting, he has stated that he has been tested and is negative. I choose to believe this, but I cannot confirm it. I hope that it is true. I did tell him the day after I went in for testing that I was HIV positive. His reaction was less than inspiring and consisted of distancing himself from possible blame. The only communication he has attempted since, was to make sure that I wasn't telling anyone that he was HIV positive or making him out to be a bad person. Once again, I believe he is not positive. As for him being a bad person? No. Just a human being with flaws just like everybody else.

With 3 weeks to think about this, I have chatted with close friends and done a lot of research. My counts are suspect but don't in an of themselves require treatment at this time. But my doctor thinks that it would be a good time to start, given my age. I requested that we wait until the next set of counts which will be done in June.

In the meantime, I am falling back on my medical background as a healthcare professional (RN here - not a doctor) to try and make decisions about what to do with my health status. My preference is to rely on supplements and nutrition as ways to combat viral replication and subsequent CD4 depletion. I will be very curious to see what my numbers will do with about a month of these supplements under my belt.

My mood has been good for the most part, although there have been some down times as to be expected. But I am taking time to educate myself and do the right things. - exercise, eating right. meditating and getting adequate sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home